Sunday 30 January 2011

The Sandbox & Free for all Player versus Player.

I have been recently searching for a good Sandbox massively multiplayer online game that I could really get into as I have given up the more themepark based games such as World of Warcraft and Everquest 2.
I have even been unimpressed by the lack of interaction my character has in Eve:online (which I will go into another time). I think each of the titles do a good job, but they are all missing a certain something (which is different in each case) that keeps me wanting something more, something creative, something that I can say, “yeah I did that!”

I stumbled across two opposing articles, one by a chap named Tobold, to summarise, says that it is an “unholy marriage between “sandbox” and “free for all PvP” that is holding the sandbox MMORPG genre back”.
The second article by Jef Reahard, looks at free for all PvP as a necessary part of the Sandbox, or a trade off for the abilities and freedoms allowed by a Sandbox.
I find myself agreeing with both articles, (which is unusual for me) however these individuals opinions have left me pondering:

If I create something within the Sandbox, is it still has appreciated and valued if it can not be destroyed by others?

Does the possible act of annihilation make me protect and value what I have more than if I knew it would be there forever? Does permanence devalue an object?
If someone threatens what I have made, then meaningful player versus player combat can come from it. Allowing the players themselves to deal out the consequences of different actions can be very liberating. However, what if the individual/s destroying or taking apart that which others made are more powerful than their victims? Do we create a system that makes our player feel powerless? 
Which has lead me to wonder:

Do we allow the benefits and Negatives of Free for all Player vs Player combat in a Sandbox OR save ourselves from the negatives but deprive ourselves of the benefits?

I have seen in many MMO's, (F2P and Subscription based) how although we would love to play in a sandbox, not everyone wants to play nice, and its that realism translated into these games that allow people with very little respect for others to thrive. Angry and unfriendly behaviour seems to be a bed fellow of the online world. Which without rule of law from someone or some organisation (Games masters etc) seems to take control of great areas of community, similar to a gang or an individual plaguing a group or individual. Global chats for example are notoriously spoilt by people saying disgusting things to each other, for what purpose I have yet to fully understand.

Which has lead me nicely to the idea that if we want to be free, in a sandbox, truly free, do we as the players of the sandbox with its Free for all player vs player combat, not have to govern over that responsibly to protect that which was built by those who want to construct? I think here I am talking of the consequences that we as players have to face for attacking or destroying something that I have no right to do in the eyes of the owner. Who will help the owner defend what is theres, or at least set and example for the next person who comes along with the same idea? Certain games such as Eve:online have tried to do such a thing, but with loop holes in the law, which mean if you try and take the law into your own hands, you are destroyed as technically you attacked the thief (who is seen as innocent to the in game police) without provocation. 

So what mechanisms could be the answer? Do we have prisons? Places where players can lock away those who do wrong? Are there going to be implications for such a game? Socially and psychologically? If those who are role-playing as a guardian of the peace don't feel they can win, or do not have the necessary mechanics in game to do so, then we may not have any to defend that which we build and create in the sandbox. If however they have power, power which when used responsibly can make a positive and meaningful peace in the game while still allowing players to choose... well I think we may have just made an amazingly interesting social MMO with the ability to change and grow as the balance of power shifts. I believe its one of the reasons that Eve:online thrives as those who make it to 0.0 space (the space that is without NPC police or guardians) as it allows those players to build and grow together. Where this game lacks is that the learning curve is very steep and even with my attempts to persevere the game itself has created an area which limits new players (maybe rightly so) but also demands large ammounts of time and subscription before they can be part of that growth and change in 0.0 space. Which when all you want is to experience that element, put me off greatly.

Lets say then we have been able to empower both people who would like to destroy and those who want to create (and all those in-between). I think it would allow for a more impacting relationship between FFA PVP and the Sandbox experience. I have found that without consequences its really meaning less to shake your fists at the ganker or opportunist who steals your loot as there is nothing you can do. Who knows maybe one day I will be putting a game name here and saying yay!

(please note I think Eve:online is a great game and should be tried by all Sandbox MMO fans, this was my personal experience and doesn't reflect how others feel)

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment